The University of Nottingham Health Service
NHS logo 

International students

Registering with the UK National Health Service

Welcome to the University of Nottingham Health Service (UNHS). In the UK you need to register with an NHS doctor on arrival  so that you can  access free healthcare. Doctors usually work together in health clinics also known as health centres or general practices.


To be eligibility for NHS care you must either be a:

  • UK or EU citizen
  • citizen of a country with a full reciprocal agreement
  • registered student on a course of over six months
  • spouse or dependant of someone fitting 1-3

Countries with reciprocal arrangement
Countries with reciprocal arrangement:
Anguilla Germany Portugal
Iceland Spain
British Virgin Islands Isle of Man
St Helena
Bulgaria Italy
Channel Islands Liechtenstein Turks & Caicos Islands
Denmark Luxembourg Former Yugoslavia
Falkland Islands Netherlands Former USSR except Latvia
Finland New Zealand  
France Norway

How to Register

In order to make registration simple, we run special registration sessions in the first two weeks of term. These are in the Trent Building on the main campus. You will be advised of times and location by either the International Office or your Faculty.  As there are large numbers of students to register we ask where possible that you try and attend your allocated session as students attending the wrong session may experience a longer waiting time.

Registration forms

You may register with the practice at any time by visiting reception and completing a number of simple forms. 

If you do not have them you will have to complete them again from memory which may not provide us with information that affects your medical care.

Please download, print and complete the registration form and confidential medical questionnaire(pdf) and bring it with you to the practice.

Doctors in the United Kingdom have catchment areas.  You need to find a doctor in whose catchment area you live.  Details of doctors are available from:

  •  public libraries
  •  post offices
  •  the local Primary Care Trust (PCT’s)
  •  at 

When you register with the practice you may need to proof that you have a visa or are on a course of a minimum of six months.

Details on how to register with UNHS.